Let’s get right into it — You need to join/start a mastermind group. Here are the facts:
WHAT is a mastermind group?
Four to seven people in the trenches just like you, who work on their business/career, and who want to learn and grow. Each member offers their current resources, tactics and tools that work for them — plus they give you support when you need it.
WHY start a mastermind group?
It’s a structure that will literally pull your business forward:
- You don’t get sidelined when bad things happen.
- You don’t get distracted, because you’re building a critical support system.
- You have a comfort zone of success you’re accustomed to and can measure your performance.
- As you break through each ceiling, you’ll need partners to pull you up.
WHO should be in your mastermind group?
Optimally, you play better tennis with people who play better than you. But I feel that diversity is the real power of your mastermind — get members from many areas/industries, age groups, etc. Surprisingly, you will all have the same issues, with subtle filters personalizing them to your business/career.
WHEN should you meet?
Usually you meet on a strict, regular schedule — bi-weekly, monthly, or quarterly. Attendance should be mandatory — your mastermind will only work if everyone is invested in its success. They run 3-8 hours, depending on the number of members, frequency of meetings, and the general ‘antsyness’ of each attendee.
FACILITATOR – Yes or No?
Yes — if you find your mastermind strays off course frequently and resembles a coffee klatch. The minute it becomes disorganized, unruly or off-course, you need a facilitator. I can help.
No — if you have dedicated members who recognize the power of your group, stay focused, and share in the responsibility of facilitating, developing topics to discuss, etc.
WHAT is the PAYOFF of a mastermind group?
- Exclusive Community — it involves dedication, communication, and a true willingness to succeed.
- Not On Your Own — the feeling of being alone goes away. You get committed business/career advisors.
- Grow Your Network — you get to connect with people you never knew existed.
- Learn — bring your skills & experience to the group. Other members will have a solution for you.
- Refer — once you are true colleagues, it’s easy to refer business to one another.
- Unbelievable — masterminds infinitely impact your morale, business and career.
THE BOTTOM LINE:
We think our business/career security comes from making a lot of money, having a big title, or a checklist of major clients, but we’re wrong. The greatest source of our security comes from close relationships with trusted friends.